Put the kettle on or raise your glasses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Put the kettle on or raise your glasses

Post  TP on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 am

What do you drink during the day and what do you drink of an evening and weekend? Where do you get your drinks from?

Discuss drinks here:

Back to top Go down

Re: Put the kettle on or raise your glasses

Post  TP on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 am

Tea and coffee here. Sometimes hot choc if cold. Love the mint one. Sometimes have a squash always keep a Robinsons handyor some orange juice.

Same in the evening. Apart from Saturday and Sunday night when we have a glass of wine with our dinner. Dont drink much alcohol but we usually have a glass with Saturday and Sunday tea. We usually get that from the supermarket or from Aldi. I prefer white to red.

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 am

a new thread.. I like Smile bounce

I used to, until a little while ago, drink hot choc religiously of an evening but have got myself out of that habit. Now it's tea or green tea (sitting here drinking coffee as we've ran out of tea until DH brings some in later. I'm not much of a coffee drinker though)

We have a dolce gusto machine that is redundant as 1) we don't drink much coffee and 2) they're pricey and not necessary for us.

We don't drink alcohol unless we're out or at a friends house. Neither of us drink in the house. Again, alcohol is something we just don't find we need to spend our money on.

If I am drinking alcohol I love a bit of Baileys or a Pear Cider
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 am

During the week I'll usually have tea and water during the day. Sometimes I'll have fruit juice or smoothie too. At the weekend I'm more likely to have coffee. I don't drink much alcohol these days but I really like fruit lambics and benedictine & hot water.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 am

never had green tea.

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:23 am

TP wrote:never had green tea.

It's definitely an acquired taste, nothing like a good old cup of tea. Some say it has a 'delicate' flavour but I wouldn't know as I leave the tea bag in to the point of stewed beyond stewed. I drink it for the antioxidants, not the taste and have done for about 3 years. I probably have one every other day.

Oh, I like a bit of lemon in hot water too. That's a good refresher in the mornings.

Listen to me. I sound all healthy. I probably am I just eat too much. Can you be healthy and a size 16? Embarassed
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:24 am

froogs wrote:
TP wrote:never had green tea.

It's definitely an acquired taste, nothing like a good old cup of tea. Some say it has a 'delicate' flavour but I wouldn't know as I leave the tea bag in to the point of stewed beyond stewed. I drink it for the antioxidants, not the taste and have done for about 3 years. I probably have one every other day.

Oh, I like a bit of lemon in hot water too. That's a good refresher in the mornings.

Listen to me. I sound all healthy. I probably am I just eat too much. Can you be healthy and a size 16? Embarassed

Yes you can! You can also be a size 8 and as unfit and unhealthy as they come.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:27 am

totally agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:49 am

alec eiffel wrote:During the week I'll usually have tea and water during the day. Sometimes I'll have fruit juice or smoothie too. At the weekend I'm more likely to have coffee. I don't drink much alcohol these days but I really like fruit lambics and benedictine & hot water.

Oooh bene and hot! Fantastic on a cold day - I lived in pendle for a while and they drink something ridiculous like 2/3 of all the benedictine made there because the pendle pals brigade was stationed where it is produced. It was a question on QI once and I was so impressed to know all about it when no one on the panel did! Very Happy

I'm a total teapot during the day although I don't drink as much now I have to put the kettle on - was bad when I ran a tearoom and had one of those magic hot water things! I tend to keep a wine box in the fridge and quite often have a glass in the evening once the kids are in bed. We also have a soda stream ad I quite ofen have a posh cordial like elderflower or nettle with fizzy water - that was my 'wine' when I was pregnant! Laughing
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:57 pm

stiltwalker wrote:
alec eiffel wrote:During the week I'll usually have tea and water during the day. Sometimes I'll have fruit juice or smoothie too. At the weekend I'm more likely to have coffee. I don't drink much alcohol these days but I really like fruit lambics and benedictine & hot water.

Oooh bene and hot! Fantastic on a cold day - I lived in pendle for a while and they drink something ridiculous like 2/3 of all the benedictine made there because the pendle pals brigade was stationed where it is produced. It was a question on QI once and I was so impressed to know all about it when no one on the panel did! Very Happy

I'm a total teapot during the day although I don't drink as much now I have to put the kettle on - was bad when I ran a tearoom and had one of those magic hot water things! I tend to keep a wine box in the fridge and quite often have a glass in the evening once the kids are in bed. We also have a soda stream ad I quite ofen have a posh cordial like elderflower or nettle with fizzy water - that was my 'wine' when I was pregnant! Laughing

Yeah, I've heard that East Lancs drinks more bene than anywhere else. Dan's Dad's side of the family all live in the Burnley area so there's lots of it about. We used to live just outside Accrington so we had the whole Accrington Pals thing going on. We went to a do at Burnley Miners Club a while ago and they have the huuuuuugest bottle of the stuff I've ever seen. Delicious. One of the few things I enjoy about going on Turf Moor is a bene & hot at half time!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

I do drink the odd green tea BUT I have to sweeten it first otherwise it's rank Embarassed
Generally I drink coffee and squash and probably MOT enough of that.
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 pm

You've made me want bene and hot now! Might put it on next weeks list - this weeks is already on its way and includes 2 bottles of value white rum and one of value gin as I went sloe picking yesterday afternoon. Never seen such huge sloes - if I didn't have the wounds from the thorns I'd have almost thouht they were small damsons! Sloe white rum was a revelation last year, made a small amount to try as it's OH favourite spirit and he really doesn't like gin and it was wonderful so I am making a much larger quantity this year.
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

B&M had bene for £8.99 a bottle a couple of weeks ago *yum*. It's the SuperLeague grand final this weekend, I'm hoping for cold weather so we can crack it open!

My parents made sloe vodka for the first time last year, it was yum, they made limoncello too, delicious but a bit strong! Trial and error.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

what is bene and hot? Infact what is bene? Am I missing something lurvely?
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Bene is Benedictine liqueur. As stiltwalker mentioned the good folk of East Lancashire drink it with hot water as it's what the soldiers drank during WW1. It's gorgeous, it has honey, herbs and spices in it. It's warming and gorgeous.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Im a coffee or green tea drinker during the day
and a GnT in the evening at the weekend or if i am really pushing the boat out a single malt.
My folks joke it took me a long time to come round to alcohol but now i have its only the most expensive for me
My favorite gin is tanqueray its delish. My mum didnt believe i could taste the difference between the different gins and we had a challenge night. I got them all right she was gobsmacked and i was abit tipsey Laughing
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Fairly partial to a G&T myself but given a choice my fave is plymoth although had a lovely gin up at my parents' a while back called Blackwood which is from the Shetlands and uses only local botanticals.
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  appletree on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:53 am

can't stand tea, drink coffee mainly, hot choc if its cold out, regarding alcohol, partial to a glass of wine on a weekend
appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 am

I have seen that Shetland one stiltwalker and quite fancied trying it but was a bit nervous incase it was yuck but will def give it a go now thanks
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:34 am

Lollyfin, it's a litle different but very nice. If you don't like it I'll PM you my address!!!! Laughing Laughing
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am

Coffee, coffee and more coffee, the occasional Ribena and the odd glass of wine.
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 am

options hot chocolate tonight absolutely tasty.

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 pm

tea, coffee, water most of the time. Don't drink much as I can do without the calories, but mostly I would drink red wine or g & T. I like 'nice' bitter in a pub sometimes.
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top