The Weight Loss Thread

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Post  alec eiffel on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Oh wow Cat, nasty stuff, hope you're fully recovered now.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm

I've been back on the bike recently, I've just done 12.6 miles in 60 minutes. I'm even eating fruit. Will wonders never cease! How's everyone doing?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:09 am

Well, noone has joined me on my Dukan thread, I'm talking to myself over there, so shall I join in here?

How are you all going to cope with the forthcoming festivities?

Will you

a) Stick to your regular food plan?

b) Go wild and eat/drink everything in your path?

c) Damage limitation i.e. try and stick with your chosen food plan but allow yourself some leeway with some treats?

I'd be really interested to hear your strategies on this. I don't want to put all my efforts over the last weeks to waste by going mad, but neither do I want to be a total misery guts!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi PI,

I think Froogs was the driving force behind the weightloss thread so it's gone a little quiet recently.

In answer to your question, I go for option C. Enjoy myself, because "real life" happens even when you're dieting but I have a few rules - eat as healthily as possible - obviously this is different for me than for you as you're following the Dukan plan.

But I do stuff like get the day off to a good start, have a healthy breakfast, do some exercise/activity if I can, make sure I drink lots of water, eat some fruit and things like that. When there's going to be alcohol around I have a 3 drink rule and don't drink on consecutive days. I make meals and freeze them beforehand so it's easy to just stick them in the remoska and heat them up rather than grabbing more cake and chocolate. We don't buy chocolate or cake just for ourselves and just enjoy them when we're out or when we have guests over. If we do want to snack we have plenty of grab and go foods like nuts, clementines, dried fruit, houmous, olives and things like that. It means when we do have the drinks and the less healthy stuff we really enjoy it and don't end up with that heavy, sluggish feeling and like we've undone all the good work throughout the year.

I know a lot of this stuff won't apply to anyone else as there are children and family about the place but you get the idea hopefully.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Well, was starting to think my weight had totally plateau-ed, but this morning I see 250g down. More than half a pound! It's taken a week. I've doubled my medication over the last 10 days so I guess that might have something to do with it.

Choir Christmas party was on Thursday. Drained the sauce off the chicken dish, bit of chilli, then a bit of salad. Diet coke/water to drink. Thought long and hard before having a chocolate. Eventually thought, well it's a party, so I did. Would have been better not bothering, cos I just wanted another then!

Had a great time with the girls though and that's what it's all about really, isn't it?

When it comes to Christmas, it will be the same for me, particularly as this year ds has been away a whole term without seeing him and dd has been in Italy. Much more about having the family all together and doing all our tradidional things. I'm so lucky.
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 am

I always think Xmas is a difficult time and you are likely to put on a few pounds and not so much exercise.

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 am

Well, it was a slightly naughty birthday yesterday! I was rather off the Dukan plan, but not totally stupid.

Had a slice of bread with breakfast, half with my egg and half with some marmalade.

Lunch was OK I think, but DS gave me (and I accepted!) a chocolate from his advent calendar.

Afternoon....had a mince pie. Just one.

Dinner, definitely not Dukan but not too bad. DD made tomato risotto and I had a slice of birthday cake, which was sim to a lemon drizzle, except made with lime and caster sugar on the top to give a nice crunchy finish. DD made that too.

Oh......and we did a practice of the cocktail for Christmas day. Opinion is divided on whether it was good enough or not. It was raspberry puree, creme de framboise topped up with prosecco. I thought it was OK, but like the creme de framboise better on its own!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Sounds like a nice treat day but without stuffing yourself silly and feeling like you've "fallen off the wagon".

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

It was really lovely Alec, some excellent family time, of which we don't get much these days.

Not pigging out meant that I have, joy of joys broken the 6kg barrier. Woop! I'm so thrilled.

Yesterday did almost proper meals. Tested dd's baking, but didn't have a whole one of anything. I was very proud of myself. She went to her grandma's to make a battenburg and chocolate log. Battenburg came home with her and choc log is to be finished today. Then she made three lots of biscuits (2 for cheese and some gingernuts) and I tested them!

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 am

Diet gone t*ts up!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 pm

i should imagine thats pretty normal for most.

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 am

I wouldn't worry about it too much PI. You've been doing really well with it so a little deviation is ok. At least you were on the plan in the first place to be able to fall off the wagon - you might put a few pounds back on but at least you're still starting again from a lighter weight than you were before!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 am

I actually had a wake up moment that I might be being too inflexible.

I was watching Food Hospital, which has been very interesting. There was a chap on there who ate only raw food. The resident dietitian/nutritionist was concerned about orthorexia nervosa, i.e fixation on 'correct' or whatever the person deemed to be correct. It was at that point that I decided that I 'needed' to let go a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Thanks for your support folks.
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:46 am

Thanks for the link, will have a look.

I think when we find something that works it's easy to fixate on it. It's kind of like how a superstition or good luck ritual evolves I suppose - something happens that gives us a positive outcome so we carry on doing it. That's fine, but when we start to think that doing these set things are the only way to achieve the positive outcome or that not doing certain things is going to bring about a bad outcome it can start taking over and get in the way of us enjoying our day to day life iyswim.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Got Wii Zumba for Christmas so hoping this will help me a bit. At least, it will when I get privacy to do it! Have had a couple of goes.

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 am

Today was the first day back on my Dukan plan. I've been rather off plan now for a bit. 21st was a washout as it was birthday meal, 22/23 OK, 24th at MIL's and that's when it went t*ts up.

I've put on in the region of a kg, so not too bad I suppose. In actual fact it's a relief to have to be back on proper food, as I know that in a couple of days I shall feel much better in myself.

Breakfast was eggs with a tiny bit of lean pancetta type stuff.
Lunch was lf ham and cottage cheese, then oatbran galette.
Snack more ham
DInner piece of salmon, nat yoghurt with vanilla and sweetex.
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

A kilo isn't all that bad considering you wandered off plan.

At the other end of the carb spectrum, we're back to sensible and regular eating too and I already feel better. We went shopping last night and bought some good stuff so I no longer feel like I'm having to eat up all the boring stuff we had hanging around. Dan cleared out the freezer last night, which might seem wasteful but it was stuff we just weren't eating so now we have stuff in one drawer and the rest of the space is filled up with icecubes and water bottles. I used to love my freezer but now it's a bit of a stash and dash cupboard. We even looked into getting rid of the fridge freezer and just having a fridge but couldn't justify the expense.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm

It's going sooooooooo slowly! I've been really good too. Mad
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Have you moved onto the next phase yet PI or are you still on protein only?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi, First time round beg of Nov, I did 5 days attack ie protein only, then an assortment of PP PV days, really according to what I was doing rather than 5/5, 1/1, or 5/2.

This time I did attack Tues- Friday lunch as attack then PV and PP onwards, called cruise phase.

I find protein only quite hard going.

Today had eggs with smoked salmon scraps for breakfast.

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Come on! I can't be the only person round here trying to lose weight! Let us know how you are getting on and we can congratulate or commiserate.

Yesterday was a commiserate day and today is congratulate. I thought the scales were never going to move. I'm pleased to report that I have now lost my Christmas gain and now the lightest I have been since I started. Now 79.05kg, which is irritating in a way, but at least having had a loss showing today, I will have another marker shortly in that I will be 78something. I like weighing in kg for that reason. half a stone is a big marker to me, but a kg (2.2lb) mean the goals come round a bit sooner. For anyone interested, I started at 85.7 ,so now lost 6.65 kg. Over a stone. Goal is first of all 75kg, then hopefully 72kg, but will see how I feel at 75 first.

How do you prefer to weigh? Stones and lb, just lb the american way, or Kg?
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Yeah, I can imagine the protein only part can be tough going.

I don't weigh myself very often but when I do I deal in kgs. I was weighed at the docs just before Christmas and weighed 55kg which is alright. Haven't been doing as much exercise recently though so I'm more flabby than usual but no heavier.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I dont really bother now with diets. I found the slimfast diet good, as long as you stayed on it but as soon as you come off you put weight back on.

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

I haven't ever thought that diets that rely on drinks/bars would suit me, as I want to learn how to eat normally and not gain weight most of the time. Then get back onto normal eating plan after celebrations and shed the extra ib or two quicky. I suppose it depends on how important food is to you whether you can cope with the shakes or whatever.

I want to learn to maintain my weight I suppose.

Unexpected lunchdate, the mussels in tomato sauce were good enough, but I shouldn't have had half the piece of bread....
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 am

The dinner with MIL wasn't too disastrous, she had made steak and kidney with a cobbler pastry, she knows I'm not big on pastry, so just had the meat, sprouts lovely, but unfortunately there was butter on the carrots. I ate some to be polite of course. Declined trifle for pudding, had my oatbran galette (but cooked as a waffle!) when I got home.

Away from tomorrow afternoon till Sunday night taking ds to Uni and staying overnight with friends. That's the next challenge.

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top