The Weight Loss Thread

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Post  Rosie on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:06 am

Well done Wendy. 1Lb is good.
Despite my worse fears I actually stayed the same.
Froogs, you sound like me. Have you heard of Potatoes not Prozac, if you google it, the Radiant therapy website comes up, it may be worth taking a look at that.
I tried it but went too fast & gave everything up in the first few days, made myself quite ill, so gave up. I need to sort my head out & give it a fair crack of the whip because her description of how people are with a "sugar addiction" is me exactly.
I don't have sugar in anything but comfort eat, often the sort of stuff that either has sugar in,(like the biscuits on my lap at the moment), or carbs that turn into sugar quickly.

Onwards & upwards everyone.

Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 am

I've looked up the radiant therapy site and crikey every single bit of it sounds like me. Even the not being able to face breakfast bit.

I've reserved potatoes not prozac at the library and will endeavour to eat breakfast. That's the first step apparently. I'll also look at my sugar intake.

Thank you for leading me to there, I'm a cynic and don't like being brainwashed but I do need choc, sweet stuff and carbs at certain times so i'll listen and give it the benefit of the doubt.

food for thought alright.. literally.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:43 am

THe second book, I can't remember the name is also very good. I got the two of them, one from green metropolis, the other Amazon.
Do take it slowly, step by step.
I did it a few months ago, read about it first then jumped in with both feet. I started on the Monday, I didn't just start with breakfast though, I stopped everything, on Friday I felt ill, as though as I was coming down with flu. Headache, sore throat, shaking, shivers, sweats, I went to bed & slept on & off for close to a day or so.
My severe reaction I think reinforces that I have an issue but I just can't get my head in gear enough to start it again, I really need to. For the few days I was doing it I felt quite good but I don't know whether that was psychological, I was taking control.
Whenever my meds are changed I think myself better for a couple of weeks & then realise that they've not worked & I'm all over the place again.
Let me know when you've got the book and you're going to start, if you'd like to buddy up. (Maybe I-we should do a diary on here, or the diary bit)
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:55 am

I'd love to buddy up yeah. A diary sounds like just the ticket. I'll let you know rosie yeah. There's only one copy in county reserve so hopefully nobody has it
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:15 am

hello peeps
I managed to get myself out of bed today and am trying to catch up on everything on here
i have just read the bumf on potatos not prozac on amazon and think i will get the book as i am a total sugar addict, the last few days i have been eating whole family sized cakes myself as i felt so ill and guess what they made me feel worse and i knew they would (in the intelligent bit of my brain) but did it anyway. i have a huge food/emotional connection ranging from i dont feel well, stuff my face to everything is great reward myself with food and everything in between
so heres another buddy if you guys are interested
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 am

Hi lolly
Hope you're feeling better.
The more the merrier, hopefully we will be able to help each other when we need the support.
When I read the radiant therapy site online I couldn't believe it, she was describing me exactly. Mood swings, I'm bi-polar, so I have major mood swings, rages, everything.
Give us a shout when you plan on starting.
In her books & online she says to take it slow, you must heed the advice, or else like me you'll make yourself ill.
Also it would be best to read it through first & plan & buy in your high protein breakfast. I go off half cocked, so would get up & then be wondering what to have.
The amount of protein you have to consume is a lot. I looked at buying protein powder but it was too expensive.
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 am

Can I recommend to those of you who are emotional eaters a book by Geneen Roth called Breaking free from emotional eating. I found it incredibly helpful and whilst my eating mindfully journey has stalled a little I know in my heart of hearts I can't diet.
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Looking forward to being part of the potatoes not prozac group. It'll be interesting if we get to the point where we do say results and changes within ourselves.

My mum used to say 'have some chocolate, your sugar level will be low' when I was down or moody. That would have been feeing my addiction and probably not at all helped with my emotional eating.

Brilliant of you to recommend the emotional eating book Bitsy Beans. I will check that out as soon as I've received and read the sugar addiction one.

I love how our group is turning into a huge resource and not just support bounce

On the 'dieting' front I'm doing well really. I'm not indulging and not snacking between meals. I've lots the destructive feeling of eating anything and everything - just because I felt on the road to ruin.

Was on the cross trainer last night too.

It's all good. bounce
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi Bitsy, I'll take a look for your recommended book. Anything that can help has got to be good.
It will be interesting to see whether there's a bit of a crossover between that & the potatoes not prozac one. As I think that generally us comfort eaters tend to eat the same sort of stuff. Either sugary or processed foods when we "need" to eat something without being hungry.

Froogs, I think that most of us use food, either to celebrate or cheer ourselves up. Having a quick fix of chocolate to get my blood sugar level up quickly is something that I do often but it no doubt just feeds the need to have more.
It's learning to keep it stable that's the problem.

I have started the day with eggs & beans on toast, I know the beans aren't brilliant due to being quite high in sugar but at the moment I'm not actually doing the book, I shall wait until we're all ready to start. I think that it may be easier with company.

I don't have set meal times, because it's just me, I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes it will be 4pm & I suddenly need to eat so consume anything that is quick & easy, usually bad stuff.
I have been known to eat a frozen gateau because that's all I have sweet in the house. How bad is that, I often think that if someone could see me I'd be horrified. I try to convince myself that as nobody can it somehow doesn't count.
Things were much easier in my childhood. You ate 3 proper meals a day, sometimes a cream cracker before bed. You would have a biscuit, not a packet & crisps & sweets were a treat, probably no more than once or twice a week. Our eating habits have changed so much in such a short space of time, everywhere you go you're bombarded with quick & easy rubbish to eat on the go.
Anyway off to shower & walk the dog through the woods, another nice day in Devon.
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Rosie,

Yes the beans do contain sugar but egg and beans is a brilliant breakfast, full of protein and loads of other goodies! Eating some seeded bread and half a tin of baked beans is about 1/3 of your daily recommended protein, add egg into the mix and you're probably pushing towards half.

When we crave stuff sometimes the craving is psychological but sometimes it's a physical thing too. There are loads of studies out there about how chocolate helps release the happy hormones in the brain and how fat is comforting and all that stuff so while the eating may be emotional the reason we crave what we do can be physical.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm

DH and the girls have bought me wii zumba for my birthday!!

I have just done the warm up and it's fab. It makes you work, my legs know that they've had to do something different, but best of all it makes you smile and giggle.

Going to do a 20 min session later one when chores are done. I'm going to go have a sneaky weigh in too. I know we shouldn't till Fri but I want to see if those 4lbs I put on last week were down to my tummy troubles.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 pm

I have lost 1lb.. put that down to the tummy troubles then Sad I was hoping for more. So now I have 3lb to lose just to get back to where i started.

Sometimes I don't know what else to do re: eating. I don't feel like I eat very much - I obviously do Embarassed

froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm

froogs wrote:I have lost 1lb.. put that down to the tummy troubles then Sad I was hoping for more. So now I have 3lb to lose just to get back to where i started.

Sometimes I don't know what else to do re: eating. I don't feel like I eat very much - I obviously do Embarassed

Don't be disheartened.
It may not be the amount but what you eat that's the problem.
I can't remember if I said this in an earlier post, I've loosely followed slimming world diet a few times & generally do the green days, as it's cheaper & I love carbs.
One time I went for the red, which is more protein based. After a couple of weeks, I suddenly went down 2 dress sizes virtually overnight.
My daughter said that it looked as though a pin had been stuck in me & I deflated.
I thought that maybe it was gluten in the flour but having read the potatoes not prozac book & followed it allbeit for a very short time, I think that it's probably the quick converting carbs to sugar that is my problem.
(Not that I've done anything else about it).
It could be that you have something similar.
If you're not sure if you eat a lot, try a food diary for a few days & see.
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi,

Do you keep a food diary? Very much like a spending diary they can really help, especially if you write down your mood or feelings too. You'll start to spot patterns of eating and trigger times for eating too. On an unemotional level do you measure your portion sizes? I weigh our potatoes, pasta, rice, spelt etc and use a ladle to measure out portions of whatever else we're eating. That way I know when I'm having an extra big portion and I don't have to judge by eye what I know is the right portion size.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Thank you to you both Smile

I will start writing down in my diary what I eat. Feel free to chip in too because I need all the help I can get.

I have a slimming world pack so it might be a good idea to use that to keep a check on what I am eating.

I want to keep eating healthy (for my moods and head) so don't want to start counting calories or anything like that because it means one little handfull of sunflower seeds or nuts and my diet is blown out of the window.

It's catch22. I will read up on red days - only ever tried the extra easy where you can eat as much as you like from both green and red... confusing stuff (and only lasted a fortnight at that too as couldn't afford the fees)

I don't like diets at all but I need some guidance so I'm going to have to follow something.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm

You've hit on the exact point (pardon the pun) of why I hate systems like weight watchers and slimming world - I have heard my friends (irl and internet) say they won't eat nuts, seeds, bananas, avocados because they contain too many points or syns or whatever else. Many of them also won't exercise because you get bigger losses if you don't. That is insanity to me (and yes, I do realise I sound as dogmatic as followers of a system). It's not just about a number on the scales it's about nutrition and the long term health of our bodies. Exercise is about bone strength, heart health, mental health and so much more. It's not all about eating salad!

That's not directed at anyone, it's just a general vent.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm

I agree with you whole heartedly alec eiffel.

I also think you have hit the nail on the head. Exercise is where it is at. It doesn't really matter how much you consume as long as you work the energy off.

I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to count how many calories you consume (not thinking of limiting) and make sure you burn the excess calories off daily. There would be some maths involved but I dare say it could be worked out.

I have the wanting to eat healthily straight but motivation wise I am severely lacking. I will have to walk nearly 5 miles a day once my little one goes to nursery - 3 trips up and down to school and nursery. So I'm hoping that it will all help. There's the cross trainer, wii fit and now wii zumba. I really have no excuse!
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

You'll find motivation when you start doing things. It comes from within, you can get motivation from external sources but it is very short lived.

When you get on the cross trainer when you don't think you want to and do half an hour or whatever you'll start developing that motivation and with each day you get up and do something that you didn't do before the more motivation you'll have. It's an action - it's when you go to the fridge and find it full of nice fresh food, when you cook something delicious and healthy, when you do that walk to school and you realise, yeah maybe it may not be as fun as cocktails and dancing with Joel Tomkins but it's not that bad and it's an achievement. You won't see a difference in a day or maybe a week but it's all working to get you to your goal.

I don't think you can eat as much of whatever you want then out exercise yourself but I do think you can have a few drinks or a cake or whatever your less healthy desire is (mine is cocktails and dancing with Joel Tomkins). It's all about balance. If you have a nice mix of being kind to yourself, good food in all its guises, treating yourself and being active then there's no need to worry.

And don't stress yourself trying to drop 4lbs in a week, 1 or 2 is a great sustainable loss.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 am

Here I am rattling on about exercise again I do apologise!

Does anyone listen to music when they workout? I'm looking to add some songs to my playlist so thought I'd ask you for ideas

Here's my current playlist - it's about 50 minutes

Must Be The Moon - !!!
Papillon - Editors
Unwind Yourself - Marva Whitney
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
TiK ToK - Ke$ha
Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Somebody Told Me - Killers
Watch Us Work It - Devo
(got to have some daily Devo)
Push It - Salt n Pepa
On The Floor - Jennifer Lopez
Harder Better Faster Stronger - Daft Punk
Know Your Enemy - Green Day
Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
California Gurls - Katy Perry
Everybody - Martin Solveig

Any suggestions welcome!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 am

I like a bit of Queen when I work out

fat bottom girls
don't stop me now

and The Who, baba o reily

and for something really a bit tacky Eric Prydz - Call On Me lol
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 am

Oooh Baba O Riley is a good one, Hull FC rugby league team run out to that so it always reminds me of exercise!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 am

Just read an email, the copy I reserved of potatoes not prozac is at the library to collect. I'll pick it up tomorrow
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:02 pm

morning all
well i weighed myself this morning and am pleased to say i have lost the 2 pounds i put on last week so am back to where i started at 11 stone. I am starting to feel a lot better and even thought about exercise today so will definately be starting that again in the next few days, this bug really knocked me out for a while there
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Well back up to 11st 11. Not surprising as I've had a bad couple of weeks in London.

Got back yesterday feeling yuck. Awake all night feeling yuck. Now sitting in front of TV feeling yuck. Don't think I'll be eating much today. That should help.

Will have to take furry beast for a walk soon so I'll have to get out. Its pouring with rain so not a very attractive prospect.

Hope everyone else had a successful week weight loss wise.
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Well I stayed the same again but as I've eaten anything that Ive wanted to I'm surprised again that I haven't put any on.
I'm meeting a friend for lunch today & if I have the energy when I get home I will do a stock inventory of the cupboards & freezers & maybe do a menu.
Is anyone ready to start the potaotes not prozac thing yet?
If I get my fat ar5e in gear today I'm going to start again tomorrow.
I just don't have any energy at all.
It's a vicious circle, I have no energy to cook or eat properly, so eat rubbish that saps any energy I may have, so it goes on.
Off out with the beast now.
Have a good day all.
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top