homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas

+3
lollyfin
alec eiffel
froogs
7 posters

Go down

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas Empty Breakfast Recipes and Ideas

Post  froogs Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Breakfast is a love/hate of mine. Some days I look forward to eating it and others I can't face anything.

I know I'm to eat breakfast for my wellbeing so I had hoped we could get a collection of different ideas to try.

Today I'm thinking poached egg on toast

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcZ5VNFmiEoYmbB5juAf5HAiM_c6E3dO2wS2Rc3E_GoRKP0Pay
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas Empty Re: Breakfast Recipes and Ideas

Post  froogs Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas 192691826_omplARBr_c

Nice and simple. http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/09/bacon-egg-breakfast-cups.html

suggests to precook bacon so maybe a quick whizz in microwave

line yorkshire pudding tin with the bacon so it forms a mould for the egg to be broken in to.

Cook in the oven

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Breakfast Recipes and Ideas DSC_8573-copy

Apple & Berry Breakfast Crisp
Rating: 5

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

4 Apples Cored and Chopped/Sliced Thinly
2 Cups Blueberries
2 T Flour
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar- Packed
1/4 Cup Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate- Thawed
1 t Cinnamon
Optional: Yogurt
1 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar- Packed
1/3 Cup Butter- Melted
2 T Flour
Instructions

Mix together fruit, 2 T Flour, Cinnamon, 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar and OJ
Pour mixture into baking dish/dishes.
Combine remaining ingredients (except yogurt) and top fruit with the oat mixture.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Optional: Top with yogurt before serving

http://goodenessgracious.com/2011/09/apple-berry-breakfast-crisp.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoodenessGracious+%28GOODEness+Gracious%29

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 pm

In on yoghurt and Dan's special recipe (i.e he won't tell me how he makes it) granola. It's yum, but it features cinnamon so it's bound to be yum.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:52 pm

I make pancakes for us in the morning sometimes, the kids love them.
These are for small fat pancakes not thin ones so theres no swishing round the pan
I add chopped up fruit sometimes or cinnamon or both depending on what we fancy
This makes a lot so half the recipe if you want it will still work

300g SR flour
300ml milk
2 eggs
80g sugar (you can adjust this as much as you want it wont affect the recipe much)

whisk egg and milk together then mix in the flour and sugar
heat a frying pan and gently melt some butter in it, i find 1/2 heat is best
drop tbsp of mix into pan and leave until bubbles appear on the top then flip and leave for a couple of mins more until they are nicely coloured
then eat hot out off the pan covered in jam/butter/syrup or just on their own
yum!
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 am

I have either cereal, porridge or a slimfast.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:20 am

Ooooh lolly I think you've described scotch pancakes with your recipe which are especially relish smothered in peanut butter Embarassed
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 am

Give these ones a try bitsey.......you will never go back to other ones
ps they are nice at night too Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:17 pm

which cereals do you buy? do you buy brand ones or own brand.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Dan makes his own museli but we also buy Dorset cereal and occasionally Mornflake museli or Jordans for an extra sweet treat.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:39 pm

my recipe for granola:

1.5 mugs of your fave nuts, chopped. i use brazils, hazels and pecans. and cashews if i can get them. use unsalted nuts.
1 mug seeds, i use pumpkin, sunflower hearts and linseeds. again it changes as to what i can get or what i fancy!
3/4 mug rolled oats
1tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 dsps granulated sugar or 1 tsp fructose (yes it looks like a lot of sugar but bear in mind you dont eat a lot at any one time)
1 tbsp oil (not olive, it gives a funny after taste lol! and not melted lard. that really wont work.)
1 mug chopped dried fruit. i like dried cherries, cranberries and raisins. my mum uses apricots too but i am allergic to them.

mix nuts, oats, seeds, oil, and sugars but leave out fruit.

pour into a roasting tin and cook on 180 degrees c until browned. check every 5 mins or so cos it's a fiesty bugger. should be a nice toasty brown when done. keep stirring well.
turn oven off but dont remove granola. add fruit and stir again. leave until cool enough to touch, but not cold (or you'll never get it out of the tin)
dump out into a plastic, glass or pottery bowl and every 15 mins or so give it a prod and a mix.

once completely cold (and i mean COMPLETELY) put in a sealable jar like a Kilner and it's good for 2-3 weeks. or a ziplock bag. they work well.

i like it in yogurt. jim likes it on cornflakes as an extra interest. soph doesn't like it, she claims to hate raisins.

mum adds it to biscuits. dad likes to eat handfuls of it whilst watching star trek..........

I also have a pot of dairy free slimfast style stuff, but I tend not to use it much because having to eat before dropping child at school (i eat about 7:30-8) i get hungry by about 10am, whereas with scrambled eggs on toast (2 eggs 1 toast) i can keep going til neighbours time 1:45pm and it's not much more effort.

sometimes in winter i start off with a mug of hot milk with malt extract and either honey or a little brown sugar in it (horlicks contains lactose, this doesnt lol), then eat when i get back.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 pm

I have over the last couple of months weened my guys off cereal except weetabix and porridge
i was going through so many boxes of the stuff it was costing me between £8 and £10 a week. My son would quite happily have 2 bowls in the morning before school a bowl when he got home and a bowl before bed. My DD werent quite as bad but it was still 2 bowls a day and they dont pay attention to recommended cereal portion sizes either did I Very Happy . Have any of you actually measured out a portion it is tiny, well i think it is, wouldnt keep a bird alive Shocked
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm

I know, 30g of cereal, which is the portion size for some of the sweet cereals is teeny tiny (I guess that's so they can advertise that chocolatey cereals are "healthy"). We buy a box of cereal every couple of months - usually when it's on offer and just have it as a sprinkle on top of our normal museli. Just for a bit of a change. We get the yummy taste without spending a fortune. Sometimes it's just nice to have a change from our homemade museli and granola.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm always on the look out for breakfast recipes that are pack up friendly. OH works 6-3 so takes a big box with enough to count as breakfast and lunch in and he does like to have something savoryish for breakfast. Sending a muffins and yoghurt with homemade jam s easy but no he likes a savory touch just to be awkward! I have made savory drop scones with bacon and cheddar and savory muffins but have yet to find a really good, light savory muffin recipe. I have also sent him with wraps filled with egg mayo with little bits of bacon and sausage mixed into it. I don't often get around to breakfast and DD just as a crumpet (or umpet as she insists on calling it) and some fruit if she's up early.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:50 pm

we have weetabix, cornflakes, shredded wheat etc. Sometimes we buy others especially if they are on offer. I also quite like cereal bars. I use them as snacks as well.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I fancy making some HM granola. I had Sainsbugs basics muesli this morning mixed in with some sugar and Greek style yoghurt. Was very relish but I think what I like about stuff lime Cheerios the crunch so granola might just fit the bill nicely there Very Happy
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:16 am

i bought some bevita biscuits the other day. They are cereal and milk biscuits. I just use them as a snack though.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:21 pm

TP wrote:i bought some bevita biscuits the other day. They are cereal and milk biscuits. I just use them as a snack though.

I bought some of these last night after you mentioned them. They were on special offer too, even better. They're quite nice but I'm not sure how long they're going to fill me up for. I am a human guinea pig today!

eta I had my breakfast at about 7.40. Only had the pack of biscuits and am now just about starting to feel hungry. So I'm quite impressed with their claim that it will fill me up. The serving suggestion also said to have a yoghurt and a bit of fruit too. I would still be full had I had them too. Not bad. Might buy some more while they're still on offer.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down