The 'keeping an eye on our grocery spends' Thread

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 'keeping an eye on our grocery spends' Thread

Post  flibsey on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I tried to get down to a £50 per week send for all three of us, but it just didnt happen. the lowest I got was 65, and I only managed that because I'd bulk bought meat the month before lol.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 pm

TP wrote:yes thats great will do. On the subject of mods we only have 3 now. Myself, lolly and Froogs. We seem to have lost two we havent seen Silverbird and Rosie for ages. It might be a good idea to have another one especially as i am going away in October. Ideally it will be someone who comes on here frequently. Thanks.

Yeah, I was wondering where Rosie had gone to. What a shame.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Righto, here's my tally:

froogs - £104.54/£240 Shocked I know what I'm doing, honest pale
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I dont actually start till Friday but heres mine

lollyfin £0/£100

I really hope i can do this for this month next months budget will have to be a lot bigger tho as we will have nothing left Laughing
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 pm

I'll be starting at the start of October too.

alec eiffel - £0/150

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I cant get mine to come up red
grrr what am i doing wrong
i am picking the colour before i type should i be doing that after....I hate computers and dont have a teen here to show me what to do Laughing
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm

I write first then highlight the text and select bold, colour and size.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Oh ok like this

lollyfin £0/£100

Aha you are a genius!
and im kind of rubbish at this but i am learning Very Happy
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

good work lollyfin!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 pm

I don't want to keep a tally cos then if i cock up it's not just me I'm letting down lol.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Aww flibsey you wouldnt be letting anyone down honest
I think its a good way to just get thinking about what you are buying and see if there are ways to save money if thats what you want to do
I am doing it this month as i have been really terrible with my shopping lately it has got totally out of control as you can all see by the fact i have a whole months food and more here
If you dont want to post numbers thats ok but please pop in asyou have come up with good ideas on other threads and it would be nice to have your input here too please Smile
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:09 pm

I will, honest! but no tally lol. I am going to start by eating ut of the freezer for a while to clear it out and start from scratch, then buy a month's meat from the butcher's block lol.
I have considered going on a vegbox scheme again but cant get husby on board with that.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

Hmm, going to have to have a different regime here for shopping and cooking. Last couple of years, I've often done a 4 portion meal, we've had three and ds has had leftovers to warm up at school for lunch. We'll have to have the same for two nights or freeze half.

Milk...well dh is away a couple of nights most weeks at the moment as he has projects with testing going on in Holland and Germany. I hate throwing milk away, but also I hate paying for a 2 pinter when it's more economical by the 4pt. Sooo have put some 2pints in the freezer recycling the packaging from the skimmed milk, labelling SEMI.

Bread...well, going to have to start making a loaf and slicing and freezing half. Hub has 1 slice for a sandwich and more at the weekend. I have the odd slice.

Different habits. Can't think of what other changes to be made.

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 am

for us the major change was taking notice of what we do eat. for instance for months i was buying corguettes before realising not even the guineapig likes them!
I hate throwing veg out. so i refuse to now. i was sooo annoyed with husby this week when he took an onion out of the fridge and the first layer or two were mouldy/discoloured, so he binned it. i would have carried on peeling until finding an edible layer lol.
buying less potatoes, we stopped eating them for a while for some reason. now we're all back onto the idea potatoes which has confused my addled brain.
buying less milk. but we buy it long life now because of the amount of walking needed when we run out and husby's working; combination of lactose intollerance and a hip problem mean i can't buy it really locally, and sometimes can't walk to asda either!

tonight's dinner will be soup. I am thinking of taking an oldstyle MSE tip and making some veg puree to shove in the freezer to then add hot water to at a later date, like a cuppa soup. we have a few bits of veg need using up.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 am

flibsey wrote:I will, honest! but no tally lol. I am going to start by eating ut of the freezer for a while to clear it out and start from scratch, then buy a month's meat from the butcher's block lol.
I have considered going on a vegbox scheme again but cant get husby on board with that.

I'll let you know how I get on with Bucher's Block when it arrives tomorrow. I hope I'm not on the nursery run when it arrives.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Updatig my tally. I have just paid for my fruit and veg to be delivered on Sat so -

£127.84/£240

also no sign of my meat order as yet. It is supposed to arrive today
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 am

It is 3PM and no meat delivery. To say I am not amused is an understatement. My order on my account is still 'processing' We have nothing for dinner this evening now.

I have submitted a complaint , asking when I am likely to take delivery of the items. They're sitting with £59.00 of my money while I have diddly squat to make a meal. Really peeved. You try something, something to save a bit of money, to make your live easier when you haven't got a car during the day and it does nothing but get you knarked.

I know, calm - it's only meat. Flibsey don't order from Butcher's Block till I actually receive what I bought pale
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 am

Update!

Not long after I submitted my knarky post above the phone rang. The boss was awfully apologetic, saying something has gone wrong with their agency driver and with me being local - about 10 miles away they'd deliver it personally tomorrow.. Really nice guy, honest and open... so i'll get my meat - tomorrow. Cheese on toast tonight then Sad
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 am

aww froogs thats such a shame but at least they were decent and phoned you some cmpanys just dont bother
you will have to let us know tomorrow what the stuff is like!
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 am

I really feel the cost of shopping is rising sharply. only today i went and bought a box of sainsburys own brand frosties and i am sure they were only 99p for 750g (may well have been 1.49), i know lidl is 99p for 500g and that sainsburys were cheaper. anyway today they are upto 1.89!!! so its either a 39p or 89p rise, still eye watering!!!

today i visited a market some 15/20 miles away as i knew they had a veg and meat stall. i spent £40 on meat but feel i possibily have got the same going to lidl and not had the fuel costs, i did get a huge box of mushrooms for £1.50 tho so very pleased with that, 10 satsumas for £1 so fab for my kids who love fruit. think i will deffo go back, worth it for the veg imo and will prob pick up mince etc too.

i dont buy much that is processed, it all made from scratch so i know i am saving that way and know we are eating better.

On the topic of butter, lidl have their 500g spreadable danpak for 1.69 which is by far the cheapest ive seen.
Teresa

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi TT good to have you here Very Happy
thats a huge jump in cereal price!
I hate it when the shops do that. If I go shopping and i see something that the price has dropped on like tesco pasta, that jumps between 19p and 49p, I buy loads of it even tho I already have some just to make sure I have enough until the next price drop
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:12 pm

We've done the budget for this month and we don't have much cash so I'm going to try to squeeze some extra from the grocery budget. so today I'm going to be doing a pantry inventory and a list of potential meals - I know I won't stick with a month long menu plan but giving myself the option of lots of pantry meals will probably help. Who doesn't like writing lists? bounce

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:29 am

well its the end of the week and i have only spent the £2.10 i spent on monday so all good. (hubby bought milk today!).

i have NO money for food this week so we are eating out of the freezer and cupboards.

i get paid on the 19th but i do get my child benefit on the 12th so i will probably have to do a shop then at least some sort of top up.

i have no actual budget to stick too so for my figures im going to put just what i have spent.

i am going to start from this monday cos it doesnt really make any odds when i start ill still never have any money lol.

so

£2.10
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:15 am

as DH is paid weekly and im paid 4 weekly (but my pay just goes in and then comes out few days later for the mortgage) i never know when to start my budget, and i only had a weeks worth of shopping money at a time if that makes sense, i really need to try and save a few hundred and use that for the month and put some in a kitty each week for the next month (does that make sense?!) i have a budget of £450pcm but would love to even get it down to £300pcm, with me, dh and 2 ds's i think it is doable.

Teresa

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Spend so far -

dairy £1
f&v 1.15
bread £3.91
household £2.09
pantry £3.30
"other" food £4.19 - included large Higgedy quiche for 92p = 4 lunches for Dan.
treats £.62
drinks £4.27

£20.53/£150

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top