homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cake making and decorating

3 posters

Go down

Cake making and decorating Empty Cake making and decorating

Post  Bitsy Beans Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 am

Soooooo I am starting a cake decorating course tomorrow night with my mum. My idea is to hone what cake decorating skills I have and maybe branch out into making them. Not sure I could do it as a full time job as there is a great deal of competition out there but am thinking of maybe having lots of income streams aka fingers in a lot of pies LOL and see what develops. CMing is OK but I am not sure how long I'd want to carry it on for. Mind you if this doesn't work then I will have no choice.

A friend has just text me to see if I can make her a cake for her DDs birthday in 2 weeks time. Am now officially bricking it Embarassed what if I do it and it turns out completely pants Shocked what I do for my own kids is one thing, doing it for others argh reality hits home <gulps>
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Cake making and decorating Empty Re: Cake making and decorating

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm

its natural to feel apprehensive. I am sure as you get into it you will be great. The more you do the more confident you will feel. Hope you enjoy your course.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Just costed the Sleeping Beauty cake......£25 just for the ingredients. Doesn't include cost of labour Shocked Shocked

How does anyone who does this for a living make any money??
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 pm

The margins can be small.

A friend of mine set up a business doing it earlier this year and although it looks like she has alot of business I don't know how much she makes. For example, she was making some cupcakes last week, she ran out of the fancy wrapper, had to go off to another town to buy them and the petrol cost wiped out her profit. She does it as a hobby that makes money rather than a primary business though so not the end of the world for her.

Enjoy the course.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Really enjoyed the course last night although it's going to cost me to keep buying the items needed for each week. Still once purchased it means they are mine to keep forever Very Happy
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 am

you still doing the course BB?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:15 am

I am. It's good but not for beginners as she doesn't explain enough of the simple things like usingmthe base of of the cake as the top. Costing a fair bit in the extra items (cutters etc) each week so oncemthis term is over I won't be returning, not really learned anything new but it's been fun. However two nights out a week on the trot (at tap class on weds too) is a bit much too.

Still it has generated a couple of enquiries for some cake toppers etc Very Happy
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down